Translate

Friday, May 3, 2013

Truth is stranger than fiction












For the past four years I was chasing memories.

Through family stories, faded pictures and old documents, I was obsessively trying to reconstruct the indisputable truth.

Many of these memories once I got hold of them turned out to be completely false. Like colorful soap bubbles they exploded once I touched them, leaving nothing but air. I had to smile when I came across a filmed video of my mother, at age seventy, saying looking straight at the camera, how her grandmother died when she was three years old. I know this is not true; I am holding in my hands the document with the exact date of her death. I know now, contrary to what I held true for years, that I was named after my grandmother’s sister who died in Europe during the war. I also know that my name ran in the family going back to my great, great grandmother.

A strange mixture of facts and fantasy memories seem to acquire, over the years, an independent existence of their own, at times separated from the mere truth. I am at peace now with this dichotomy.

There is the factual truth and by its side the memory and both can hold their ground, and both have the right to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment